Settling in at Lalor Park Early Learning Centre
As your child’s first day draws near, we realise that you and your child will be filled with mixed emotions and your main concern may be as to how your child will settle in. Rest assured that we do understand your feelings and are here to support you and your child through the settling in period.
If you have any questions or concerns, please approach one of our friendly staff members and they will assist you in any way they can.
Some children take to new environments extremely well while others may be a little bit apprehensive or unsure. There are a few things you can do to make the settling in period as easy and stress-free as possible for you and your child:
Preparing for the first day at our centre
- Prepare your child beforehand. Talk about our centre, the activities, new friends, new toys, etc.
- Feel free to drop in with your child and visit the centre for short periods before the actual starting date.
- Drive past the centre on the weekends – show daddy, grandma etc. your child’s “new school”.
- Buy a bag and label it – let your child help to pack it, teach them to recognise their “own” bag.
- Label all clothing and shoes (this helps both the staff and your child).
On your first day
- If possible, make your child’s first day at the centre shorter than usual to ensure a slow and happy transition to school.
- Bring your child into the appropriate classroom. A staff member from that room will welcome you and introduce you to the other staff and children.
- Allow your child some time to stand and watch. They may not feel ready to join in straight away and will need to do so at their own pace.
- Make sure that your child’s special security blanket/toy is packed in their bag and clearly labelled if needed.
Staff will show you
- Where to put your bag
- Lunch and sleep chart
- Sign in book
- Classroom communication book
- Fee Receipt and information pockets
- Programme display
- When you feel ready to say goodbye to your child give your child a big hug and kiss and tell them that you need to go now and that you will be back later to pick them up – then go.
- Rest assured that staff are very sympathetic to a new child’s distress and will respond in a caring and warm way such as: giving hugs, providing distractions e.g. activities, sitting with the child.
The director will also
- Check that your registration details are current
- Collect a photocopy of your child’s immunisation record
- Check that your child’s information sheet is complete and accurate and
- Answer any question you may have regarding the centre.
Copyright © 2016. Powered by kinder m8